55990832 - Design Engineering Intern
- District 5
- Contact Person
- Tancredo Marte
- Contact Information
The FDOT Structures Design are recognized as leaders, innovators and discipline experts in the Transportation Industry working in collaboration with our partners to develop and deliver safe, cost effective and aesthetic structures.
As a member of the FDOT Structures Design Team you will contribute to providing a safe transportation system that ensures the mobility of people & goods, enhances economic prosperity, and preserves the quality of our environment and communities.
We are looking for a highly motivated team member that is a college level student (junior, senior, graduate levels) and desires to work on a dynamic team of skilled structural engineers.
This is a learning and mentoring internship where you will gain knowledge of the FDOT transportation system, Department processes, structural engineering as well as the bridges and associated structures that facilitate the excellent Florida State Road System. The candidate should have an interest in the field of structural engineering and transportation.
On the FDOT Structures Design Team you will have the opportunity to be involved in and assist with structural related activities on highway transportation projects.
The intern will:
• Be directly involved in design functions, planning support, construction support, maintenance activities related to structures, and other associated office activities within the Structures Design Office.
• Work closely with our Structures Design Team to assist in preparation of plan sheets, design calculations, cost estimates, quantities, engineering reports and other engineering functions.
• Have the opportunity to learn about and assist in the design and review of: short span bridges, simple span bridges, miscellaneous highway structures, mast arms, strain poles, retaining walls, box culverts and sound barrier walls.
• Assist in the review and evaluation of consultant produced plans, design calculations, reports, and permits for structures.
• Learn about and implement department procedures, policies, standards and manuals
Civil Engineering students, Junior, Senior or graduate level.
The Student should have an interest in Structural Engineering, knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, good organizational and time management skills.
Please provide your resume as well as a separate letter focusing on your interest in structural engineering discussing structural engineering experiences, education, training or career aspirations. (1 page max for letter).